UK VHF Radio SRC (RYA)
The Short Range Certificate is the qualification required by law if you operate a UK VHF radio fitted with Digital Selective Calling (DSC) on any British vessel voluntarily fitted with a radio.
A radio is an important piece of safety equipment on board and it is vital to understand the correct procedures. Unnecessary transmissions could block out a Mayday distress call.
All new UK VHF radio sets are either fitted, or can be interfaced, with DSC allowing calls to specific vessels. If you hold the ‘old’ VHF licence (pre-1999) you need to upgrade your qualification if you purchase new equipment. This can be done by attending this one-day course or, if no tuition is required, you can enter for direct examination.
Course topics include:
- the basics of radio operation
- the correct frequencies (channels) to be used
- distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
- making ship to shore telephone calls
- Digital Selective Calling (DSC) using simulators
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and Rescue (SART)
The course will be taught using radio simulators and will be examined by a short written test.
For Course Dates: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for dates.
“BH Marine are a informal and friendly family run business offering
Professional RYA Boat Training, Yacht Management, Boat Deliveries
internationally and a Boat Shop. We have a well deserved reputation in the
marine industry for safety at sea and we continue to grow in the coming years.”